KEY OF INTERNATIONAL SETTLEMENT
1.Put the following phrases into English 贸易壁垒 进口关税 全球经济一体化 资金转移 有形贸易 无形贸易 国际惯例 全球金融同业通讯协会 trade barrier import tariff economic globalization fund transfer tangible trade intangible trade international customs and practices SWIFT 2.Put the following sentences into English
The international settlement involves tangible trades, intangible trades, foreign investments, funds borrowed from or lent to other countries and so on. (2) 许多银行注重发展国际结算和贸易融资的业务。
Many banks have focused on their business of international settlement and trade finance. (3) 大多数国际间的支付来自于世界贸易。
Most of the international payments originate from transactions in the world trade. (4) 一般来说，国际结算的方式分为三类：汇款、托收和信用证。
Usually the international settlement is divided into three broad categories: remittance, collection and letter of credit.
3. True or False
1) International payments and settlements are financial activities conducted in the domestic
2) Fund transfers are processed and settled through certain clearing systems.(T)
3) Using the SWIFT network, banks can communicate with both customers and colleagues in a
structured, secure, and timely manner.(T) 4) SWIFT can achieve same day transfer.(T)
4.Multiple Choice 1) SWIFT is __B__ A. in the united states
B. a kind of communications belonging to TT system for interbank’s fund transfer C. an institution of the United Nations D. a governmental organization
2) SWIFT is an organization based in __A___ A. Brussels B. New York C. London D. Hong Kong
3) A facility in fund arrangement for buyers or sellers is referred to __A___
A. trade finance B. sale contract C. letter of credit D. bill of exchange
4) Fund transfers are processed and settled through __C___ A. banks B. SWIFT
C. clearing system
D. telecommunication systems
5) __C__is the reason why international trade first began. A. Uneven distribution of resources B. Patterns of demand C. Economic benefits
D. Comparative advantages
5. Answer the following questions
1) Where are the medium of exchange originated from?
Tracing back the history of international settlement, the medium of exchange originated from coins to notes.
2) What will inevitably lead to under the international political, economic and cultural
The international political, economic and cultural exchange inevitably leads to credits and debts owed by one country to another.
3) Why do banks focus on the development of the businesses of international settlement?
Banks focus more and more on the development of the businesses because it is a major resource of profits.
4) What will banks do to meet the higher and higher demand of the international market?
Banks need to develop innovative products and deliver the best services possible in whatever way they can. Chapter 2
1.Put the following phrases into English 资金转移 清算系统 银行竞争 可兑换货币 fund transfer clearing system banking competition convertible currency international payment 国际支付 2.Put the following sentences into English (1) 用于国际结算的货币是可兑换的货币。
Currencies used in the international settlement are convertible currencies. (2) 每一个通信和支付系统都有自己的使用规则。
Each communication and payment system has its own rules. (3) 有五种美元清算的方式。
There are five US dollar fund transfer payment methods.
Euro is the single currency of the European Union. (5) 香港作为国际金融中心必须遵循国际惯例。
As an international financial center, Hong Kong must follow international payment practice.
3. True or False
1) CHIPS payments are irrevocable and subject to a same-day net settlement process.(T)
2) Book transfers are payment made between parties that maintain accounts at the different
3) In Japan, cash is not far more often used than checks for payment at the retail level.(F)
4) Not later than July 2002, the Euro will replace the national currencies in all public and
1) The following are the special problems for international trade except for __C__ A. using foreign languages and foreign currencies B. under foreign laws, customs and regulations C. having risks
D. numerous cultural differences
2) All the parties to a collection are bound by ___C___ A. UCP400 B. UCP500 C. UCR522 D. URC254
3) An additional risk borne by the seller when granting a credit to the buyer is that the latter
will not __D___ A. accept the bill
B. take up the documents C. take delivery
D. make payment at maturity
4) To the exporter, the fastest and safest method of settlement is __B__ A. letter of credit B. advance payment C. collection D. banker’s draft
5) To the importer, the fastest and safest method of settlement is __C_ A. letter of credit B. cash in advance C. open account D. banker’s draft
6) Which is the real international payment system? __A__ A. TARGET B. FedWire
C. CHAPS D. SWIFT
5. Answer the following questions
1) How will fund transfers be processed and settled?
Fund transfers are processed and settled through certain clearing systems. 2) What is FedWire?
FedWire is an electronic payment system operated by the U.S. Federal Reserve. It si used to make US dollar payments to banks and their customers throughout the United States. 3) When will the euro start to use?
From January 1,1999, Euro is the single currency of the European Union. 4) What is the strongest of SWIFT?
The strongest feature of SWIFT is message text standards.
1. Put the following phrases into English 总资产 缺乏经验 全球策略 专业服务 total assets lack of expertise global strategy professional service financial statement 财务报表 2.Put the following sentences into English
The overall principle to establish correspondent banking relationship between two banks is on the basis of mutual benefits. (2) 一家银行对其所在国金融系统的重要性是对该银行进行评级的重要因素。
The importance of a bank to its country’s financial system is a major factor in the rating process. (3) 穆迪和标准普尔在对银行进行评级时有许多相似之处。
Moody and Standard & Poor’s (“S&P”) share many similarities in rating banks.
The credit line for a correspondent is worked out according to certain procedures in many sizeable and well-know banks. (5) 银行不仅可从贸易融资中获利，而且还可以介入金融活动之中。
Not only banks can gain from trade finance, they can also engage in those financial activities.
3.True or False
1) Risk management strategies should be taken into consideration when rating correspondent
2) A world wide computer network for monitoring the line is maintained by many banks.(T) 3) A bank should introduce or modify those products in order to have those products to be
marketed in its banking operation.(T)
4) Some correspondents will not extend credit facilities to the bank with nostro account and
offer a preferential account, so that conducting business will become more convenient and easier.(T)
4. Multiple Choice
1) From the point of view of a Chinese bank, __B__ is our bank’s account in the book of an
overseas bank, denominated in foreign currency. A. a vostro account B. a nostro account C. a mirrio account D. a record account
2) A bank gets to know its exact position of funds by __A___ A. reflecting the credit balance B. examining the mirror account C. consulting a foreign bank D. checking the nostro account
3) Statements of balance of international payment don’t include __D__ A. current account B. capital account C. balancing account D. visible account
4) __A__ refers to an exchange of services or assets between countries. A. Invisible trade B. Visible trade
C. International trade D. Balance of trade
5) Each country has to earn __B__ to pay for imports. A. money
B. foreign exchange C. cash D. currency
5.Answer the following questions
1) How will ratio of earning be divided?
Ratios of earning can be divided into ratio of capital return (Earning/ Total Capital, ROE) and ratio of asset return (Earning/ Total Capital, ROE) .
2) Why do banks develop the correspondent relationship with foreign banks?
For the purpose of rendering best service to the banks’ clients, it is essential for the banks to develop direct correspondent relationship with foreign banks and offer more diversified banking services, thereby playing an increasingly prominent role in promoting and regulating the growth of the national economy.
3) What do American banks and European banks usually do in their financial activities?
American banks are active in marketing their products and services in the field of fund clearing, Trade finance has always been the main subject of correspondent banking